As a driver in the United States, you’re required to have auto insurance. Auto insurance protects you from the costs of an accident, damage, or theft; and, hands out cash to help pay for repairs.
More than a dozen different types of auto insurance protection exist.
The most common coverage types are:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Pays the medical bills of a person you hit
- Medical Payments Coverage: Pays for an ambulance and emergency room care
- Property Damage Liability: Pays for damage you caused with your car
- Collision Coverage: Pays for damage to your car from an accident
- Comprehensive Coverage\: Pays for damage to your car from a random event
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Pays for damages not covered by another driver’s insurance
Optional add-ons exist, too.
For example, you can add roadside assistance insurance coverage to your coverage; rental car reimbursement insurance; and, tow truck reimbursement insurance, among other add-ons. Each additional coverage raises your overall bill.
Other factor affect your rate, too.
Insurance companies also look at where you live, what you drive, and how you drive; in addition to your gender and date of birth.
And every insurance company prices its drivers differently.
Some insurers give lower insurance rates to drivers in big cities; while some offer lower rates to drivers of SUVs. Some offer their lowest rates for cars that get parked in a garage.
There are dozens of traits that affect your car insurance rate. It’s why you should compare rates and shop for new insurance each time you have to renew.
Auto insurance policies renew every six months.
Are you a first time home buyer?
Let us know if you’ve done this before - whether you’re a seasoned pro or buying for the first time. We’ll share the perfect information with you as you need it.
An insurance claim is an official request you make to an insurance company, asking to get paid for damages. Insurance claims can be made for any reason that’s a part of your insurance policy. When you have homeowners insurance, you can make an insurance claim after a fire in your home; after there’s been theft […]